I joined the F-Droid Board of Directors. There is an official press release on the site.
I helped form and joined the Board because we need to promote free as a freedom software, open source software, and not allow Google/Apple to control more of our lives. The F-droid "app store" has few barriers to entry, the first of which is the app must be open source. A highlight is:
The current F-Droid developers put forth a herculean task to get releases updated, working, and work with FLOSS devs to get their software included in F-Droid. There are the technical requirements and then there are the hopes for the fledgling Board. I hope a few things:
- F-Droid succeeds and enables billions to use FLOSS on their Android devices.
- F-Droid succeeds in figuring out a model for FLOSS developers to get paid for their labor (their apps and related services).
- F-Droid succeeds in introducing billions to FLOSS.
- F-Droid helps change Android Open Source to fork to a completely free operating system outside of Google's direct control.
- F-Droid eventualy expands to future FLOSS mobile operating systems (ahem, like PostmarketOS).
We're a member of the Commons Conservancy, you can read our official Board meetings minutes and discussions on F-Droid's gitlab instance. Or if git isn't your thing, join the community forums. Here's to the future of F-Droid!